Friday 20 June 2014

First steps

Starting a blog isn't exactly easy.

It feels like the beginning of a story, yet it's dated today - 20 June 2014. My story starts way before that, but I don't feel like writing my life story: it would take too long to write, and above all, too long to read!

So why do I want to start a blog? Two reasons.

I love to write. And I love the internet.

Actually, I have been writing on the internet since 2003. I started posting opinions on a forum that shall remain nameless* (just trying to preserve an ounce of dignity here). I wrote fanfictions for various fandoms. I joined Facebook in 2007 and occasionally used the "notes" section as a blog, but it gets drowned in everything else; and in 2009 I joined an online community called the Experience Project (EP). I was most prolific on EP and it proved very therapeutic during my darkest moments (I battled depression for many years). However, due to various changes to the site, I, along with many others, felt disillusioned and left.

Therefore, I need a new place to share my experiences, voice my opinions, and have some fun. I need - ta-da! - a proper BLOG.

Who I am: I am a 30-something Belgian woman with Asperger's syndrome. I cope rather well for someone on the autistic spectrum, yet I often face challenges in areas of life most neurotypical (that is, non-autistic) people take for granted. I am a Christian, a mix of evangelical and progressive, which means that whatever I believe or however I choose to live out my faith, I am bound to find people who disagree with me. That's OK. If there is one thing I have learnt over the years on the internet, it's that it's OK to disagree.

I won't lie: like all writers, I want to be read. So if you would like to read more, stick around... and let me know.










*OK, if you really have to know, it was the tatu.us forum - for fans of the Russian pseudo-lesbian pop band t.A.T.u.



7 comments:

  1. Maybe I should start a blog. God knows I'm plenty capable of saying a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no doubt about that! :) Go ahead... I will read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck on this endeavor. Since ep I feel I have lost my own voice. I hope you are well and look forward to reading more about your life here. Also, you have very pretty eyes.

    Copper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Coppy! So happy to hear from you. Maybe you should start a blog too and find your voice again! I'm good. And thanks for the compliment! xx

      Delete
  4. The one & only t.a.T.u song I've ever heard I liked... That may have have something to do with the video though. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to have stumbled upon you again my dear! You write very well and I look forward to picking up where EP dumped us all off!

    ReplyDelete