Monday 25 August 2014

Dawkins and disabilities: what makes a life worthwhile?

Unless you've been living under a rock, or - like my mother - are blissfully unaware of what's going on in social media, you've probably heard about Richard Dawkins' infamous advice on Twitter to people expecting a child with Down's syndrome: abort it and try again. He later qualified his statement, but still insists that bringing such a child into the world is immoral, " based upon his own moral philosophy which in turn is based on a desire to increase happiness and reduce suffering."

This story strikes a nerve with me for two reasons.

For a start, I have a disability myself. I have Asperger's syndrome, which is an autistic spectrum disorder. Yes, it does make my life more difficult or even more painful at times. Does that mean I would rather not be alive? Of course not. Besides, happiness is not necessarily the absence of suffering. Of course, circumstances affect our happiness, but they do not necessarily crush it: if it were the case, people who are poor or ill would never be happy, yet this is simply not true (I'm not going to discuss how the pursuit of pleasure can actually impair our capacity for happiness today, though). And I know my parents love me just as I am, despite the difficulties they've had with me over the years.

Actually, I'm not the only person with an autistic spectrum disorder who's responded to Dawkins. The lady who mentioned the dilemma posed by learning your unborn child has Down's syndrome asked him where he'd draw the line, since she has an ASD. He replied "People on that spectrum have a great deal to contribute, Maybe even an enhanced ability in some respects."

I think that argument is flawed. Firstly, someone's contribution to society does not determine the worth of their lives, and that is very fortunate. How do you decide whose contribution is worth keeping? Besides, you cannot possibly know what contribution a child will make (or not) before they're even born. This guy has Down's syndrome and his contribution is pretty amazing, and he is only one example of the many things people like him are capable of. Moreover, people with ASD do not necessarily have enhanced skills. Some of us are highly intelligent, other of average intelligence, and other stills have severe developmental delay. Some have incredible intelligence but their autism is so severe that they cannot unlock their potential. None of this, however, is a criteria for the worth of our lives.

Which brings me to my second point. I used to work with children and teenagers who had various learning disabilities, including Down's syndrome - and some disabilities that are a lot more profound. Many of them had severe and complex developmental disabilities. They could not feed themselves, they could not talk, they could not walk. Does this mean their lives were not worth living?

Each one of them had a personality and a smile. A smile, do you understand what that means? A smile that says "I am happy to be here with you", "I am happy to see you". They had their likes and dislikes; they responded to people and situations in different ways. They felt the same emotions you and I do.They expressed happiness, fear, or frustration and cause people around them happiness, sadness, or frustration, just like we do. Who are we to say that their lives are not worth living? Since they can show enjoyment of certain things, dislike or distress of others, it demonstrates they feel the same emotions we do, even if they can't articulate them like we can.

Let me tell you about Gary (named changed). Gary was one of those children. I was blessed to be his key worker for 4 weeks. I got to know him and Gary had the happiest, liveliest personality you could imagine. When he smiled, it looks like the sun was radiating through his face. He would clap his hands in mine and laugh quietly. I could tell he was happy to see me. Gary passed away when he was 15. I miss him. I loved that boy very much. He was a human being and he had just as much a right to live as anyone else.

Mr Dawkins' statement leans towards eugenism, and that's evil in my books. I don't think we have the right to decide for another human being whether their life is worth living or not.

13 comments:

  1. Dawkins is a pedophile who has contributed nothing to society except vileness. He fits his own mold for reasons to justify abortion. His only redeeming quality is serving as a bad example for humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is he really a pedophile? I have never heard that before...

      Delete
    2. He argued that there was nothing wrong with "mild" pedophilia or "mild" rape. To call him a douche would be an insult to douches

      Delete
    3. I think Mr. GT is taking what Mr. Dawkins said out of context. So, too, have have other folks and the rest of the mob seems to be piling on. He is guilty, it seems, of being a bit pompous and his words were poorly chosen and thought out. Nevertheless, to call him a pedophile, I believe, is completely wrong and doesn't take into account his exact words:

      http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/07/30/ignorant-obvious-bullst-strong-reactions-to-atheist-richard-dawkins-tweets-about-date-rape-stranger-rape-and-violent-pedophilia/

      Delete
    4. I agree with your assessment that Dr. Dawkins' remarks were taken out of context, and that his own words were poorly chosen. To further accentuate this, he used Twitter to make some of those remarks, which obviously limits the development of a sound argument, and maybe his desire to make strong, punchy statements made it even worse. In any case, as I said before, I disagree with his need to "quantify" victim's pains - saying that one type of abuse is "worse" than another is simplistic and displays ignorance of how the human spirit responds to suffering.

      Delete
  2. I know he once said something along the lines of "Being raped by someone you know is not as bad as being raped at knifepoint by a stranger" - which shows what little grasp he has on human suffering, you can't "rate" such horrible experiences. I didn't know he talked about "mild pedophilia". What was the context? Do you have a source?

    It's interesting to note that from an etymological perspective, there is nothing wrong with "pedophilia" - it comes from two Greek words meaning "loving children". There are several Greek words for love, and this one, philo, simply means friendship/love - it has no sexual connotation. The Greek word for sensual love (sex) is erasto, hence the word pederasty, which, etymologically, referred to men having sex with teenage boys.

    Annnnnd yes.... I am a language geek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (By the way, I meant Ancient Greek... obviously.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men having sex with other boys certainly has a "Greek" connotation...

      http://www.religionnews.com/2013/09/09/richard-dawkins-under-fire-for-mild-pedophilia-remarks/

      http://old.richarddawkins.net/articles/118

      Delete
    2. This 'mild pedophilia' remark, alongside the 'stranger rape is worse' one, leads me to believe this man has the strange habit of rating horrible, painful things people can inflict on others. I don't like the way he seems to trivialize some types of assaults by calling them 'mild'. But what he says is not an endorsment of pedophilia, to be honest.

      I have to say I find myself agreeing with his assessment that threatening children with eternal torment is mental abuse. Bringing up a child to hate and want to kill unbelievers is also mental abuse in my books - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/the-photo-that-will-shock-the-world-jihadist-khaled-sharroufs-son-7-holds-severed-head/story-fni0cx12-1227019897582?nk=f7c4779c48df13d9cd01fa0b400a3b38 .

      However, I don't follow him on the 'all religious upbringing is child abuse' line. I believe God is love and I don't think teaching children about a loving God is abuse!

      Delete
  4. I don't entirely go along with Aspergers as a disability. I can see that it isn't 'standard' but I have many (possibly most) friends, and a niece, with ASD. They all seem to have done exceptionally well for themselves. The (very young) niece heads an all male actuarial team because she had such poor social skills she didn't notice the glass ceiling. The engineering world is full of Aspies. It hasn't stood in the way of Bill Gates. And I'm grateful for the explanation of pedophilia and pederasty, which I hadn't thought of before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! :) Aspergers/ASD can indeed come with gifting and a different way to view the world, which can be wonderful - I am glad I am the way I am. At the same time, it can and has impaired my work life and my social life in various degrees, and that's the reason it is considered a disability, I guess. Yet, I supposed depression, for instance, can badly affect work or relationships too,and yet it's not considered a disability. Maybe it's because depression isn't necessarily innate, whereas ASD is... I don't know.

      Delete
  5. Another thing, while I'm on. I'm continually gobsmacked by the way judges, who always seem to be old men, in rape and statutory rape cases, blithely ignore the law which in the UK says the age of consent is 16, and declare that the 40+ year old guys that boink "sexually mature" 11-year-olds aren't all that guilty because they were "seduced," and that the girls were "knowing." I personally haven't heard Dawkins' pronouncements on what is and isn't sexually permissible, but I'm beginning to think that certain men, even ones I've thought quite sensible in the past, do feel a consensus of entitlement to stick their protruding parts into any non adult male person they take a shine to.

    Also, I don't think people have any control over whethr or not they have faith. I think it's something either wired into you or not. In my case, it's not. I've tried to have it, but I just can't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is precisely because some men still feel entitled to women's bodies that we still need feminism, and that I would call myself a feminist.

      Your assessment that we have no control over whether we have faith or not is thought-provoking. I feel like I have chosen to believe... but have I? Very interesting question.

      Delete