Wednesday 24 February 2016

Which restroom should I use?

If you're a woman, I'm sure you've been through this before.

You're at a concert or some other event, and you very, very urgently need to powder your nose (if you are too shy to call a spade a spade) - that is, you are desperate to pee. And, of course, the queue to the ladies' room is so long it spills out in the hallway.

And the men's are empty.

What do you do?

Well, when this happens to me, I can tell you I have absolutely no hesitation. I need to go, dammit. No qualms about it. And I really don't see why it would be a problem.

Yet, it seems that for some people, it's such a big deal that they had to pass a bill forbidding transgender people from using another bathroom than the one of their birth-assigned gender. 

I mean, seriously? 

I'm not going to debate transgenderism here. It's a complex issue, and as a cisgender person, one that I don't know enough about. I am just concerned that male-to-female trans people, for instance, are probably at risk of harassment and bullying when they use the men's bathroom.

But really, I just find the whole thing ridiculous. And I'm talking about the bill, not about transgenderism. Why is it such a big deal, who is using which bathroom?

Obviously, as a woman, I can't very well use a urinal (well, I tried once because I literally had no other option, but trust me, it's highly impractical for girls - and that's an understatement). But there are usually also cubicles in the men's, right?

When I use the restroom, I really don't mind who else is using it. My main concerns usually are:

1. Is there still some toilet paper?
2. Is there soap and water so I can wash my hands afterwards?
3. Is the restroom, and the cubicle and seat I am going to use, especially, clean?

But I really don't give a rat's arse whether the person in the next stall is male, female, or something else. And said stalls are separate anyway, we no longer have Roman latrines where people are happily chatting together while doing their business (although maybe we should, it could de-sensitize us to this whole thing. After all, male, female or trans, we all need to go, daily. Maybe it shouldn't be such a big taboo.). 

I just have this crazy idea: we should just have gender-neutral bathrooms. Or maybe we should just stop worrying so much about it. When I meet someone, their genitals isn't usually the first thing I wonder about!


No comments:

Post a Comment