Wednesday 15 October 2014

Finding the positive

As I said in my latest post, I try to look at the positive in my job. I even made a list!

1.  I have been brought up to believe in the value of work. Working, even in a seemingly menial job, is worthwhile for many reasons. By supporting myself, I am ensuring my independence. In addition, I am making myself useful.

2. My boss may be a bit rough around the edges and a very bad communicator, but I believe he is a kind man. He has had to deal with difficult things in his life and did the best he could, and I have a lot of respect for him. He is also quite understanding of my condition, even though he doesn't really get it - apparently, you can be understanding even when you don't understand it all...

3. I get on well with my colleagues. We can have interesting conversations and a good laugh - one them has started reading a science magazine for kids after seeing me doing it, which I think is pretty awesome.

4. I can practice being kind and caring to people even here, as some of our customers, especially the elderly, suffer from loneliness and are happy to have someone to talk to, even for a few minutes. It's a good challenge to try and be kind to people you don't really like, or when you're feeling tired and cranky. And I really think that putting a smile on people's faces is infinitely worthwhile. I can be a positive force in this world, just by doing this.

5. The stress involved with being responsible for consumer goods is not at intense as the stress involved with being responsible for people. As a teaching assistant, a mistake on my part could mean a child would get hurt. In my current job, we may have to throw away some bread I left in the oven for too long from time to time, but no lives are at stake.

6. Talking of which, I love baking the bread. They may be industrial pre-baked loaves and baguettes, but the wholesome smell is wonderful as they come out of the oven all golden and crispy and gorgeous.

7. I have discovered how to use the Force.The big shutter door that separates the storeroom from the store itself opens itself automatically when you walk through it. They think it's because it has sensors... but I know the truth *gestures to the shutter door theatrically and watches it raise in time with her hand*

8. I can see the most dangerous creatures from up close (no, I'm not talking about customers, although...). The first time I had to empty the bin, I was told to bring it to the "Molok". Now, I don't know about you, but in my mind, the name Molok conjures up some kind of underground demon, made of the darkest darkness, with eyes like furnaces and a mouth whose appetite can never be satisfied. Never mind that the Molok is actually a giant, half-buried garbage disposal unit outside the store - in my vivid imagination, he's still some mythical monster. Whenever I bring bins to the Molok, I am really glad he only wants to eat garbage, not me.

9. All this physical exercice is getting me fit. Lifting heavy boxes and carrying them up stepladders, jumping on and off the platform in the storeroom (I can't be bothered to use the stairs), running around trying to get everything done. And even better, I get karate-kid-style training. Cleaning the glass doors of all the fridges in my department means almost two hours of "wax-on, wax-off" arm exercice. I'll be a black belt by Christmas.

10. I can up my resistance to extreme temperature by going from the freezer room (minus 18° Celsius°) to the oven (200° Celsius). With this, and the physical training, I'll be physically ready for the zombie apocalypse.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your last two posts about life on the job within your place of employment. Not because it was profound or earth-shattering in any way.... you simply have a great gift for illuminating the details, big and small.

    A quote that has always stuck in my mind is from the director Roman Polanski. Soon after his wife, Sharon, was tragically murdered he recalled in an interview how she used to take enormous joy in the little things in life, content with blowing the delicate dandelion tendrils into the air, smiling for long minutes, while he observed from a distance:

    "It's the little banal things which make life so important and enjoyable."

    I have discovered in my relatively short working life of a dozen years, which has included waitressing in a seedy club on the outskirts of school, a cashier at a book store and part of the janitorial team at my university's gym (you cannot imagine some of the objects I swept up post men's basketball game after the arena of 20,000 left), that there is dignity, a sense of accomplishment and lots of fun if one "owns" and takes pride in his or her job for whatever reasons.

    I also learned that a person's job is part of the adventure of life and down the twisting road of that adventure there is plenty of unknown. I have a feeling that wherever your present job leads or if there are others you will always have that dignity and sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your comment really touched me, somehow, and I needed the kind of encouragement you gave me. :)

      Delete
  2. And to think, some fool thought your job to be not very worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a creative imagination that keeps things in perspective. this is the greatest of blessings in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people think I'm just nuts. I can live with that.

      Delete