Tuesday 14 October 2014

Is my job worthwhile?

I have been working in a supermarket for almost two years now.

How did someone with two university degrees (one in languages, one in education), experience in administrative work, education, and support of young people with disabilities end up in a supermarket?

The straightforward answer is that it is better than no job at all. The more detailed answer is that finding clients as a translator is harder than I had imagined; teaching assistant positions are non-existent in Belgium; and working with people with disabilities requires a Belgian qualification that I do not have.

I remember telling an acquaintance about my current supermarket work. His immediate response was, "Not really worthwhile, then, is it?"

That's a tell-tale response. Regardless of whether I like my job or not, does working as a supermarket employee make me a lesser person? It shouldn't, yet, in people's expectations, it somehow does. Even in mine - I am always a bit embarrassed and apologetic about it. Why is this? I shouldn't have to be. People seem to consider that if someone works in a supermarket, they must be uneducated and not very smart. They never stop to consider the skills involved in managing tills, for instance - a task so complex that I've proven unable to handle it - or in managing orders of food on a big scale - another task that my manager does in my stead because he knows I don't have the skills for it. 

Even if this position doesn't fit my training and skills, at the end of the day, it means I work. I don't take advantage of the benefit system. I try and do my job to the best of my abilities, I work hard, and I endeavour to be pleasant and helpful to everyone (and trust me, being pleasant to people can be challenging when you have Asperger's - more often than not you say the wrong thing when trying to be nice and sociable, and people look at you funny). So why should my job not be considered worthwhile?

I try and look at the positive of my job, even though it's not easy.


7 comments:

  1. Is your job worthwhile to you? Does it allow you to pay the rent, buy groceries and have an occasional bit of fun? Too many people pass up a good steady job because it does not fit their idea of worth or in many instances they feel they are better than the job or worth more than it pays. Working is worthwhile period. If there is a need, then there should be no question as to the value of the job. Is sitting on the couch clutching your degrees a means to pay the bills? Absolutely not! Should we always try for better? Should we make an effort to improve our lot? Of course!

    Be proud of the fact that you are working and paying your bills when many are not. As someone who has hired many, I want to see someone with ambition, not someone who sees a job as beneath them or lacking value! As a person who has done many what may seem to be, on the surface, jobs that "are not very worthwhile," it occurred to me early on that, if it needs to be done, the it is most definitely worth th effort, or the job would not exist.

    As I said, be proud of your ambition, but do not stop striving for better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, my job allows me to support myself, which is in itself very much worthwhile. This post was meant to be a reflection on people's perception of supermarket jobs - I have realised that many people, including customers, look down on us, and I somehow resent that. A Belgian singer called Jacques Brel once said, "It's better to be a grocer who puts a smile on his customers' faces, than a doctor who doesn't care about his patients." I totally agree with that idea - I can make a positive contribution to people's life if I strive to be kind and helpfup to them. And as both you and I have said, it's much better than not working at all.

      Delete
    2. The best (and most correct) attitude!

      Delete
  2. previously wrote a big long post in which I commiserated and encouraged, but it got deleted. it was really good though and you would have liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's as if I had read it! ;) I hate it when that happens, I spend ages writing something and ... poof! gone.

      Delete
  3. My grandfather used to say that there is no job that you should be ashamed of,if it provides food for you and your family.He also said that shameful things are :to lie,to steal,to kill someone.
    If you are not unhappy,why would you care if you didn't meet someone's expectations ? People who care about you will see it as opportunity to help you find better job,and people who smile when they see you unhapp....why would you care what they think ?
    Actually,I admire you, because I'm unable to bend down when someone looks down on me.I can't conrtol anger,but you can.Wish I am more like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try my best, but sometimes it's really hard! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete