Wednesday 7 January 2015

I am Charlie

Today, Islamic terrorists stormed the headquarters of satyrical French newspaper Charlie Hebdo and killed several people, including caricaturists. You can read more here.

Charlie Hebdo took its name from Charlie Brown, the lead character of Peanuts. It is known for its irreverence and it tends to be rather antireligious.

To be frank, I'm not a huge fan of Charlie Hebdo. I don't really like their caricatures, especially when they show blatant disrespect to the God I love and worship.

But...

I believe in free speech. I respect their right to their opinions and the way they choose to express them. And I would never in a million years use violence against them or any other people I happen to disapprove of or disagree with.

I really think that if you feel threatened in your faith by a caricature... then your faith isn't really worth much, is it?

I know why I love my God. I know what He is worth. I know He isn't threatened by cartoons, and I feel no need to defend him with violence.

I guess that's where I am completely different from extremists.


No comments:

Post a Comment