Wednesday 31 December 2014

Looking back, looking ahead

I'm finally home after a 9 hour shift at work. I feel tired, yet serene. 2014 has had its share of ups and downs, and on the whole, I would say it has been a good year.

Despite the fact that my job doesn't really fit me, I have somehow managed to do it the best I could. I know my employer is happy with me, and I get the feeling he'd be sorry to see me go. I may not be able to fulfil all of the duties that come with the post, but he appreciates some other qualities I bring to the job - such as being able to deal with foreign customers! I get called whenever someone in the shop needs something but can't speak French, and most of the time, I manage (even though my Dutch is sketchy at best).

I have some truly lovely customers, like the lady who offered to drive me home when I was feeling very ill, or the one who gave me a 5-euro voucher "to thank me for my kindness and helpfulness".

Nicholas and I are really happy together. Our relationship is growing strong and committed. I feel extremely blessed: he is a kind, considerate and funny man; and we communicate very well.

2014 has also been a year of spiritual growth - delving deeper into the complexities of faith, the Bible, the person of Jesus and what a living relationship with him implies. I have joined an online faith community that I really value.

At some point in the past year, I set myself some goals. There were as follows:

- Pass my driving license. Done! It was a tedious and at times frightening process, but now I drive on my own and my confidence grows every day.

- Set myself up as a freelance translator. All the paperwork is sorted, but I really struggle to find customers. On the other hand, I have a lot of requests for private tuition in English, and maybe that is a better avenue to explore in 2015!

- Start saving up into a pension fund: done, after years of telling myself, "I really ought to do this!"

- Keep working on the stories I have started writing. Unfortunately, I have made little progress with this. However, I have set up two blogs that I update regularly, and I really enjoy blog writing.

So what would I like to achieve in 2015?

I would really like to find a new job. I need to set myself smart targets for this to work out: specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and timely. So at some point in January, I will sit down and translate this into a practical plan.

I want to keep writing, and especially, write in French on the subject of autism and Asperger's (which is the theme of my other blog, written in French).

And of course, I would like all my relationships to keep growing strong and healthy: Nicholas, my family, my close friends, and God.

I feel positive about 2014, and also about 2015. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment